Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Balding on top and bitter about it.

My friend Alfred (name changed for embarrassment purposes) has been needing a haircut for quite some time. So I went over to offer my services. This is when I became aware of his bitterness due to hair loss. He explained that all of his siblings, father, and grandparents had full heads of hair. But he got the short end of this stick.
Why was he so unfortunate? One possibility crossed my mind, because he works outside, he is in a hat all summer long. Could this be causing his hair loss problem??? So I decided to do some research. Ehow.com tells us no, "A lot of bald men walking around wearing baseball caps have led a misinformed public to believe that the hats themselves were the cause of the baldness, when in fact it was the other way around." Although hats are not the cause, hats can in fact decrease air circulation. When Alfred is working in that hot sun, his sweat may be clogging his pores and slowing even stopping his hair growth. So what else could be the problem?

I always thought it was the mothers side that passed down the gene, but in his case this was not true. I found that this form of alopecia (also known as male pattern baldness, or MPB), can be inherited from any side of the family and there's just nothing you can do about it.

My apprentice recommendation: Try getting a scalp treatment to activate those follicles. In addition try taking hair growth suppliments or using hair growth products. The bitterness... Get over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment